|HTML/XHTML, Internet and Web <|
The ability for anyone surfing the internet to make a comment or express publicly an opinion and the capability to comment on other peoples opinions has changed the way the Internet interacts with businesses. It effectively gives voice to ordinary people without filtering.
Objective Amazing objectives
By the end of this page you will be able to:
New Zealand content
Instant Messaging (IM)
- Microsoft (MSN Live Messenger)
- meebo (2009)
- Flashy ways to display a twitter feed ( http://www.cats-pyjamas.net/2011/06/twitterwalls-the-writings-on-the-wall/ )
- Is Twitter a Waste of Time? - Infographic 
Listed below are some of the advantages of using social networking sites for all age groups.
- Building and maintaining friendship with people who has never met before.
- Advising people or solving problems mentioned in any of the forums
- Sending personal messages within seconds to the person sitting at distant places
- Creating and sharing online collages with friends and family via social sites
- Creating blogs to track the record of good or bad moments
- Sharing the same blogs with relatives and friends by providing links to them
- Companies use these social sites for publicity and promotion.
- News channels update the public by providing recent and up-to-date information about events.
The social networking sites are open to all and therefore, it can put you in danger if used incorrectly. Few of the disadvantages are listed below of social networking sites. These are:
- Sometimes, sharing personal information with others can put you at risk
- Availability of private information can lead to stolen identity
- Stalkers and sexual offenders can trouble you by using the information available on your profile.
- Fake advertisements can invite unwanted viruses and spywares to your computer
- Professional companies can refer your online profile while judging you at the time of the interview.
Privacy and Social Networking
Divide your "viewers" up
- Inner circle: "Have full-blown access,and see your page as you would see it."
- Paparazzi: acquaintances and friends who haven't made the Inner Circle. Can see more than parents!!
- Guilty by Association:
- Guilty by Association: Could share personal details.
- Zero trust. This group can't access old status updates, messages from friends, or many of your photo albums
Social Media Strategy for business
Eight common mistakes made when incorporating (or considering to) Social media into their marketing strategy.
- Mistake 1: Pretend you can do without it.
- Facebook in 2009 had 300 million users, with largest demographic in 35-49 age group.
- Mistake 2: Play down the costs.
- Requires commitment to keep posting
- Mistake 3: Act like you own the conversation
- Social media is a conversation, and conversations
- Mistake 4: Fear empowering your employees
- They already talk to the public face-to -face!
- Mistake 5: Assume you have little to learn
- Mistake 6: Take negative feedback personally
- Mistake 7: Fret about return on investment
- You can look at number of followers, how many times a blog is visited
- Mistake 8: Underestimate the power of seemingly small efforts
Designing for Social Networking
Social Media for businesses
Social media is changing businesses. Facebook is helping business grow. Facebook is looking at alternative ways to change the web, a better platform for consumers to spend their time online, buy consulting their friends. Most of facebook's critical content is out of reach of Google's search engine. And the more time they spend on facebook, the less time they are spending looking at Google's ads, which is why Google has launched Google Plus as a come back to facebook and other rival social networks. With facebook bumping into Apples business of selling apps which is very popular of facebook's apps such as FarmVille are proving to be in demand by the market and the site is becoming increasingly powerful over time. Facebook is always watching the mobile market as it is the most popular mobile app on both Google's Android phones as well as Apple's iPhone. The companies themselves have become rivals, however also dependant on each other because facebook's influence is very strong in society. Facebook is even edging into Amazon's territory as it is now offering movies for rent in the US with facebook credits. (Yang,2011) Facebook has become more powerful over socail neworks by it's unquie design.
The video link below will show you how businesses are effected by social
|how businesses are effected by social media 2011
Yang, L. (2011). Tech titans - The battle for web dominance is being fought from four quarters. Dominion Post (idom pg7) August 30, 2011
Social Networking History
Social Networking has been around a very long time and has changed a lot, this website shows a timeline from the very beginning of social networking up until now. It shows the earlier versions of social networks including BBS (Bulletin Board System).
From 1960, it shows the rise and fall of many popular social networks right up to 2012. Since this site is American, it shows mainly American social networks and may not include some major social networks from other countries.
As the timeline shows, social networking is no longer limited to computers, most cellphones now have social networking applications you can chat and update people about yourself on the go.
Currently the top 5 most popular social networks are (in order): 
- Google Plus+
|Social Media Revolution 2011
- New Zealand Facebook Statistics (n.d.) Socialbakers. Retrieved August 17, 2011 from http://www.socialbakers.com/facebook-statistics/new-zealand
- WHO'S THERE, INC. (n.d.) Paper Tweet - 140 Characters or Less by Knock Knock. Retrieved August 8, 2010 from http://www.knockknock.biz/catalog/categories/pads/nifty-notes/paper-tweet-nifty-note/
- meebo (2009). Retrieved April 2, 2009 from http://www.meebo.com/
- Harrison, J. (2011) Is Twitter a Waste of Time? - Infographic. Retrieved from http://www.interactyx.com/blog/is-twitter-a-waste-of-time-infographic
- Khan, Q. (2010) Pros and Cons of social networking. Retrieved August 31, 2010 from http://ezinearticles.com/?Pros-and-Cons-of-Social-Networking-Sites&id=4246901
- Willyard, Cassandra (2011, June) Separating Work, Friends, and Family on Facebook Isn't Easy http://spectrum.ieee.org/telecom/internet/separating-work-friends-and-family-on-facebook-isnt-easy/0
- Taylor, C. (2009) Eight Ways to Ruin Your Social-Media Strategy. Retrieved August 27, 2010 from http://www.bnet.com/article/eight-ways-to-ruin-your-social-media-strategy/366324
- Adams, P. (2010) The Real Life Social Network v2. Retrieved March 14, 2011 from http://www.slideshare.net/padday/the-real-life-social-network-v2?from=embed
- The 60-Second History Of Social Networks Retrieved August 23, 2012 from http://edudemic.com/2012/03/the-60-second-history-of-social-networks/
- Top 15 Most Popular Social Networking Sites | August 2012 Retrieved August 23, 2012 from http://www.ebizmba.com/articles/social-networking-websites