|Table of contents|
Objective Discussion forums
By the end of this page you will be able to:
Chat room protocols
Here are a few chat-specific protocols to make chats go more smoothly.
- ... (ellipses) - at the end of a line indicated that the speaker is still talking and so should not be interrupted
- GA (go ahead) - means speaker is finished. Can be followed by a name, eg GA Karen, to indicate who should take the floor
- [bla bla bla] - square brackets means an interruption for notification (ie we only have 5 more minutes) but not content
- Facilitator will use CAPITALISATION to change the topic
- ? at beginning of sentence to indicate you have a question for speaker
- use the @ symbol to respond to someone, eg "@Chris, I think you make a valid point there". This can be useful when several discussion threads are happening at the same time.