A COUNTIF function counts the number of cells within a range that meet the given criteria.
Objectives : COUNTIF Function
By the end of this page you will be able to:
- Describe the purpose of an Excel COUNTIF function
- Add a COUNTIF Function to a worksheet
Excel 2007: COUNTIF Function examples
Example :Click here to download vmvXL07_Eg01.xls.
Display how many students get a specified grade
- Enter student names and grades
- Name the range (B4:C12) grades, by
- Click in the cell reference area (top left) , type grades, then [Enter]
- Enter the totals column (totals, A,B,C)
- Formula for D14: Using actual cell references
- Click fx in formula bar, under statistical category choose CountIf
- In range enter C4:C12, Criteria enter A
- Formula for D15: Using named range "grades"
- As for 4 except when you get to the Range press [F3] to display
- named ranges and choose "grades"
- Formula for D16: Using sheet references
- As for 5 except enter the criteria as the cell reference C16
- Create a pie chart of the grades (C14:D16)
Of course you can always type in the formula directly without the Excel formula wizard.