DBMS:Data and database administrator
|Table of contents|
Two important positions in an organisation are directly related to the organisations data and database management system; Data administrator and database administrator.
Objective Data and database administrator
By the end of this page you will be able to:
A management role, the DA looks after the overall management of data resources including maintaining corporate-wide definitions and standards.
- Documentation, developing policies.
- is the custodian of the data, and will:
- Develop procedures to protect and control the database
- Resolve disputes
- Determine what data needs to be maintained and stored in the database.
The position is senior-level middle management, rather than a technical position.
Is a hands-on role dealing with the physical management of the data and databases. Is a technical function responsible for physical database design and for dealing with technical issues such as security enforcement, database performance, backup and recovery
Needs skills in:
- Hardware architecture and capabilities
- Database Development Life Cycle
- Design and modelling skills at conceptual, logical and physical levels
- Management of both IS staff and end-users
- Selection of hardware and software
- rapid change
- stick with it??
- User support
- Staff departure/training
- Security, privacy and integrity
- Data backup and recovery
- Data policies
- Protection, consistent policies
- Development of the organizations information architecture
- Data conflict resolution
- Internal marketing
- Database tuning, upgrading, defragmenting drives, reorganising tables